"You are all-beautiful, my beloved, and there is no blemish in you." Song of Songs 4:7

Jan 8, 2011

She can fly!

Usually in the first post, you tell a bit about yourself and why you started blogging, but I don't really want to do that. You'll learn a few tidbits about me through my blogs. :] So here it goes...


A few days ago, I got to chase my childhood by watching Peter Pan. I love Disney movies and to my joy we have a Disney section at Hallmark. One of our coffee mugs says, "All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie dust."  This mug gave me an intense urge to watch Peter Pan, which isn't one of my favorite Disney movies. It's never really appealed to me, but on that Sunday afternoon, I gave in and watched it.
At first, I just sat there eating popcorn and letting my brain relax.

But after awhile I realized how much I can relate to Peter Pan. Growing up is scary, and we've all run from it at times. I've avoided it, and even run in the opposite direction. Change is happening so fast around me that it's hard to find some secure footing. College is flying by, friends are getting married, others are having children, my nieces are growing up very fast, and I'm almost out of my teens. These changes are making me explore unknown territory and it's frightening. I've been trying to live in my own Neverland of endless youth. But it isn't very satisfying.

Change is scary! Facing the unknown terrifies me, because I no longer have control. But I think Peter nailed it on the head. Faith and trust are all it takes. Oh and a bit of pixie dust, but I don't know where I can get some of that. So I'll stick to faith and trust. Although these are still pretty hard for me. There's a reason why they are virtues: they come from God. I learned that they hard way. I was scared of growing up, because I didn't have any faith and I definitely wasn't trusting God.

"Faith isn't the ability to believe long and far into the misty future.
     It's  simply taking God at His Word and taking the next step."
   -Joni Erickson Tada"

How do you just hand over control though? How do you just start trusting somebody else with your life? I've struggled with the how for a long time and I'm learning that giving over control is a gradual process. It isn't going to happen over night. It happens by building a relationship with God through prayer. You're not going to give control of your life to a stranger, but you will trust somebody that you have a deep relationship with. In psychology my senior year, we had to do a faith test. We were blindfolded while our partners led us around the school. God's the same way. We don't know his plan or where He's taking us, but through trust we allow Him to lead us into the unknown.

As my trust in God has grown, so have my prayers. I started asking God for these virtues instead of trying to achieve them on my own. Ask and you shall receive.  Instead of just rushing into the unknown, I let God take my hand and lead me. What a blessing! God rained down his grace, or pixie dust if you must, on me and life gradually became a beautiful adventure for me. The good kind now, not the scary kind. God took my hand, just as Peter took Wendy's and before I knew it, I was flying.

I used to wish I could head to the second start to the right and straight on till morning and just avoid growing up and changing. The future is scary if we try to face it alone. But I'm realizing that to live is an awfully big adventure, especially when God is in control. So with faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie dust, I believe I can fly. Will you join me? :]
 
God is good.
"With God, all things are possible."


4 comments:

  1. You are so beautiful my sunshine! I am so very proud of you! This blog shows your maturity, insight, faith and love. I thank God every day for blessing us with you! Love you my baby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when I'm watching a secular movie and all the sudden, all the God connections start clicking in my brain and it becomes much more meaningful. Two Disney movies in the first 2 posts...hmmm...is this the beginning of a trend for your blog? I've got to ask though: What ARE your favorite Disney movies? Mine would have to be...Robin Hood, Mary Poppins and Lion King. I've yet to see Sleeping Beauty which I hear is a masterpiece. And of course I love Pixar movies, but I don't consider those Disney in the same way. Have you seen this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqg3-5srs4
    Pretty good. Great song.
    Gus' favorite is 101 Dalmations-he's started saying "I'm not sleepy. I'm hungry." when we say it's time for bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is definitely a Disney theme for a while. I love Disney movies and they easy to relate to, so why not? ha

    My favorite animated Disney movies are:
    1. The Lion King
    2. Tangled
    3. Beauty and the Beast
    4. Tarzan
    5. Mulan

    If we're talking ANY Disney movies then 4 & 5 would be replaced by Remember the Titans and National Treasure. Priness Diaries and Pirates of the Caribbean are honorable mentions.

    That is adorable of Gus! A good movie to quote! :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll like this Laura:
    waaaayyyy back on TEC 81, which was the year 2000, the song us Wheaties chose was "You'll be in My Heart" from Tarzan with the banner the Sacred and Immaculate hearts. It was pretty rad.

    ReplyDelete